For broadcasters using a Shoutcast stream for their web radio, we recommend reading the following information carefully. (Last updated on Jan. 23rd 2017, 10:00 am)
- Early December 2016 (December 6, 2016) the Google Chrome web browser was updated to version 55.
- If your radio streams are offered through a Shoutcast server version 1 and with a port other than port 80 (for example, http://123.456.789:11111 or 8000), they are no longer playable with the new Chrome version
- This affects playback of the abovementioned streams over Chrome v55 browsers in general, thus it not only affects playback through websites like radio.net, but also your own website.
- According to various measurements the market share of Chrome in Germany is approximately 33%, international up to 50%. So it could affect about a third of your users.
UPDATE Jan 23rd: After all Chrome decided to fix the issue: in Chrome 56, expeceted to be released by the end of January, the affected streams will be playable again. As for Safari, there will be no fix - so on Safari these streams will continue to give an error.
UPDATE Dec 21st: It does not appear that Chrome will fix the issue, as can be read in the below linked Chrome forum. Suggested solution by Shoutcast is to update to Shoutcast version 2. We recommend that you turn to your stream provider. Let us know if your stream will change by this.
UPDATE Dec 6th: According to the Shoutcast thread, the problem can be solved by updating the Shoutcast stream server to the latest version: http://forums.shoutcast.com/showthread.php?t=398988
We recommend all broadcasters to check if their stream is affected, and take action, for example by installing Google Chrome and playing back the stream.
Please understand that radio.net cannot offer further recommendations, since we are neither a station operator nor a stream provider. Any questions and reports regarding Shoutcast and Chrome should be directed to the respective SHOUTcast and Chrome team.
Please send us your new stream URL to firstname.lastname@example.org if it is changed in the process. This way your stream will remain available on radio.net.
Disclaimer: Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided (as of December 21st 2016 1:30pm), the user of the information agrees that the information is subject to change without notice. radio.net by radio.de GmbH will not accept liability for any errors in this writing nor for any subsequent actions that may arise as a consequence of decisions made based upon its contents.
Our analysis has shown that many non-Port 80 SHOUTcast streams are no longer playable with the current Google Chrome (55.0.2883.95 (64-bit)). The same problem exists already under Safari 10 on macOS Sierra.
Chrome v55 was released early December 2016.
- issue report by radio.net to Shoutcast: http://forums.shoutcast.com/showthread.php?t=398988
- bug report by radio.net to Chromium team: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=669800
- bug report regarding Safari 10 Issue: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/66586
- bug report to Webkit: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164530
- link to Chrome 55 Beta: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/beta.html